Friday, June 7, 2013

Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust!

Something amazing happened to me at work the other day. For those of you that don’t know, I work at the Emporium on Main Street USA in the Magic Kingdom at Disney World. I have been here for five months, and while I have lots of great stories to share, this is one I thought I would share with everyone.

I was stocking the Princess room and right before Wishes a Grandmother came into my room and asked me if she could have a little bag of pixie dust. When I asked her why she explained that she wanted it so that in case Tinkerbell didn’t end up flying she could give it to her Granddaughter and tell her Tinkerbell left it for her. I told her that I would do her one better and to come back after the fireworks, no matter if Tinkerbell flew or not.

I ran to the back and got one of our little boxes and stuffed it with tissue paper and found a coordinator to get me some pixie dust. I put an extra bag in there for the Grandma and sprinkled some in the box. I then went and found a Tinkerbell pin and put it in the box so that the little girl would have it to keep. After I did all that I ran and got Tinkerbell to sign the box for me, and ran back to my area to wait for the family to come back.

A few minutes later I saw them looking for me and I pulled them to the side and told the little girl, Katie, that Tink had left something with me so I could give it to her. I handed it to the little girl and knelt down next to her and she opened it and took out the pin and whispered “Thank you.” Next thing I know she’s hugging me and her mom is taking pictures and thanking me and the Grandma is tearing up. I said my goodbyes and gave Katie one last hug and told her to have a wonderful night.

About a half hour later I was walking towards the back to take my break and the family stops me and Katie is holding a bag. Her grandma says, “Kelci, because you made such a special moment for Katie, we wanted to do something for you.” Katie handed me the bag and I opened it, pulling out one of the Tinkerbell pens we sell. I knelt down and gave Katie a huge hug and started to tear up, telling them they didn’t have to and how much I appreciated it. The mom then told me, “We wanted you to have it so you would never forget Katie and how you made her day.”

They will never understand how much that made my night, how a little girl who loves Tinkerbell made me think of myself and my own love for the naughty little fairy. I saw myself in that little girl, a trip to Disney where cast members made it Oh-So-Special. It’s the magic that has been passed from cast member to guest for generations, and repaid when a few of those guests grow up and become cast members themselves.


It’s the reason I’m here. Because one tiny little moment that costs nothing but three minutes worth of my time can make a little girl, her mom and her grandma so incredibly happy. Because the magic that is in my blood and the pixie dust that is in my hair is being passed on to little girls who are just like me.

1 comment:

  1. So beautiful! Is there alot of lifting boxes or do they put it on carts

    ReplyDelete